Both Thunderbird and Lightning are available from the major Linux distributions’ software repositories. However, with the exception of Debian, the Lightning extension from these repos are available in English only.
Most non-English users at this point would look to Lightning from the Thunderbird add-ons site. Versions available here are only compatible with Thunderbird 52 or older though and stop working in Thunderbird 60.
Some would suggest installing a beta version of Lightning, available from Mozilla’s archive site, that is compatible with Thunderbird 60. This works, but using beta software isn’t ideal.
Until Mozilla and the Linux distros figure this out, if you are one of the affected users, there are two ways to obtain a release version of Lightning for your preferred locale:
Extract Lightning from a Thunderbird release download
- Download the Linux (or Linux 64-bit, either one will work) version of Thunderbird for your language from the Thunderbird site. This should be a
- Expand the
.tar.bz2archive, and in the
thunderbird/distribution/extensionsdirectory, you will find the
.xpipackage for the Lightning extension (
Download Lightning from my Dropbox shared folder
In the interest of saving time, I’ve already extracted Lightning for every available language. Select the version of Thunderbird you are using, then download Lightning for your locale:
- Thunderbird 60.0 – Lightning 6.2
- Thunderbird 60.2.1 – Lightning 22.214.171.124
- Thunderbird 60.3.0 – Lightning 6.2.3
- Thunderbird 60.3.1 – Lightning 126.96.36.199
- Thunderbird 60.3.2 – Lightning 188.8.131.52
Unfortunately, installing Lightning this way means automatic updates do not work. I will try to keep this post updated with newer versions of Lightning as they are released.
In the meantime, you can also subscribe to your distro’s bug report to stay informed, add your voice or even contribute a fix:
- Arch Linux: FS#53781 – [thunderbird] Include translations for Lightning
- Fedora: Bug 1626827 – Lightning in Thunderbird 60 does not contain localization files for any locale
- openSUSE: Bug 939153 – Thunderbird integrated Lightning calendar is not properly localized
- Ubuntu: Bug #545778 “xul-ext-lightning is only available in English”
- November 7, 2018: Added downloads for Lightning 6.2.3
- November 28, 2018: Added downloads for Lightning 184.108.40.206
- December 1, 2018: Added downloads for Lightning 220.127.116.11